Faith in Christ brings freedom, yet so many Christians find themselves living as if they aren’t free. Galatians 5 provides the instruction needed to truly live free. Following a set of rules does not bring freedom. Only Christ does. So, how can we truly live in that freedom?
Before company arrives and cookouts begin. Before heading off to parades and fireworks, take a few minutes this 4th of July to consider Paul’s advice for how to live free.
- Make sure you stay free (v 1). Don’t get bogged down by a rigged set of rules.
- Express your freedom (v 6). Focus on loving others.
- Live free (v 13). True freedom follows Jesus’ example, which means serving others.
- Protect your freedom (v 15). Avoid “biting and devouring.” As much as it is up to you, live at peace with others (Romans 12:18).
- Eagerly receive everything promised (v 5). What is promised to those who “are right with God through faith”? Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control (v 22).
Rejoice in your freedom today. Then, thank the One who paid the price for that freedom.