What lessons can we learn from Joseph? Not the Joseph with the colorful coat, jealous brothers, and string of bad luck, though there are many lessons we can learn from him as well. The Joseph who was Jesus’ stepfather. We don’t know a lot about this Joseph, but he still provides a Godly example we can follow
- Joseph “considered” the situation. In other words, he gave it a lot of thought. He wasn’t hasty and did not base his decision on emotions.
- God directed Joseph by telling him exactly what to do.
- Joseph obeyed. When he woke up, “he did what the angel of the Lord commanded.” He didn’t second guess.
A simple truth emerged when I read these verses, ones I’ve read and heard many times over the years. In fact, it’s a simple process we can all use in our determination to do God’s will.
- Think – Consider the situation before taking action.
- Listen – Find God’s direction.
- Act – Move forward confidently.
What would happen if we simplified our approach to obedience within this same process?
“A man’s mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps and makes them sure.” (Proverbs 16:9)