A simple life is really an outward expression of an inward reality built on the foundation of an unchanging God. Seeking the God who is unchanging brings Calm in the Chaos and confusion of life this side of Heaven.
“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” (James 1:17)
Calm within the chaos and confusion comes through God’s peace, power, and presence.
- God’s peace is beyond our understanding. It is unlike the world’s peace and comes through Jesus who gives it to us in abundance. (John 14:27; Romans 5:1; Philippians 4:7; 2 Peter 1:2)
- God’s power is also abundant, and it goes beyond what we could ask or imagine. (Ephesians 3:20; Acts 2:24)
- God’s presence brings joy and confidence regardless of our circumstances. (Psalm 16:11; Psalm 105:4-5; John 15:4)
God’s peace, power, and presence are as strong as they can be. He never changes, after all, so it’s our awareness that can increase. This happens as we:
- Spend time with him. Let his peace, power, and presence saturate you.
- Stay attached to the vine. Let his constant care result in growth.
- Aim to do what he wants you to do. Learn about and follow his will.
- Be present. Deliberately look for him wherever you go and in all you do, and you’ll notice his peace, power, and presence more.
- Remember what he’s done and know he’s got more good planned for you. Be motivated by what he’s done and what he will do in your life.
“This is what the Lord says: ‘Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who draws strength from mere flesh and whose heart turns away from the Lord. That person will be like a bush in the wastelands; they will not see prosperity when it comes. They will dwell in the parched places of the desert, in a salt land where no one lives. But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.’” (Jeremiah 17:5-10)
Life this side of heaven is filled with chaos, confusion, and change. God calls us to live simply and to not add to the chaos and confusion. He calls us to trust him and to place our confidence in him. When we do, we will be like well-watered trees – always fruitful and without fear.
A life based on Biblical Simplicity – while it looks different for everyone – for everyone means living pleasing to God, lifegiving to ourselves, and available to others. We need God’s peace, power, and presence to remain calm and live simply. We need them to not let our emotions hijack us into confusion, chaos, and unnecessary complication.
Sometimes it seems easier to stay in the chaos, confusion, and complexity than to work toward a simpler life. Seeking simplicity isn’t always easy, but it is always worth it. Take a small step today toward a simple, calm life founded on the peace, power, and presence God offers.